Dr. Jared Freedman initially embarked on his journey in optometry to help improve the lives and vision of those closest to him. Growing up, his sister struggled to see clearly due to high amounts of astigmatism. She had tried numerous specialty contact lenses but was not able to achieve the vision she needed. Her journey to clear vision ignited a spark as Dr. Freedman was able to see second hand the impact poor vision can have on one’s quality of life.
Dr. Freedman graduated from Florida State University with a bachelor’s degree in Exercise Physiology and a minor in Chemistry. Following his undergraduate studies, he completed his optometric training at Southern College of Optometry where he graduated Magna Cum Laude and was a member of the Beta Sigma Kappa Optometric Honors Society. During his optometric training, Dr. Freedman realized his passion for vision rehabilitation utilizing specialty contact lenses and decided to pursue further residency training.
Dr. Freedman completed a Cornea and Contact Lens residency program through the New England College of Optometry in Boston, Massachusetts. During his residency training, he had the opportunity to rotate through world renowned hospitals and tertiary care centers including the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston Medical Center, and Boston Foundation for Sight. Dr. Freedman has extensive experience in specialty contact lenses, irregular corneas, keratoconus, and the surgical management of corneal transplants and corneal cross-linking. Specifically, he has experience in fitting rigid gas permeable, scleral, hybrid, multifocal and cosmetic iris painted contact lenses for a number of ocular pathologies. At the Boston Foundation for Sight, Dr. Freedman also gained experience working with the PROSE device to help manage severe ocular surface disease.
Following residency, Dr. Freedman worked as an instructor in the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. He worked alongside corneal specialists fitting specialty contact lenses and managing corneal pathology. He also provided diabetic eye care, glaucoma management, comprehensive eye exams, emergency eye care and was involved in clinical research. He served as an attending optometrist and mentor to optometry students during their 4th year student externships.
Dr. Freedman enjoys building relationships with his patients and treats each of his patients as if they were part of his own family. He truly enjoys helping those who have suffered with poor vision and restoring their quality of life. He continues to attend optometric education conferences and workshops to ensure he is providing his patients with the highest level of care.
Dr. Freedman is an avid sports fan, enjoys cooking, cycling, hiking and spending time with his puggle (half pug/half beagle) Conley. In his spare time, he likes to travel and experience new cultures, food, and hiking trails. Dr. Freedman enjoys getting travel recommendations from his patients, feel free to make a recommendation at your next visit ☺
Residency: New England College of Optometry, Boston Massachusetts – Cornea and Contact Lens
Professional: Southern College of Optometry, Memphis, Tennessee
- Degree: Doctor of Optometry, Magna Cum Laude
- Date of Graduation: May 2020
Undergraduate: Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida
- Degree: Bachelor of Science, Exercise Physiology, Cum Laude
- Date of Graduation: May 2014
High School: University School at NSU High School, Davie, Florida
- Date of Graduation: June 2010
- NBEO Part I, applied basic science (March 2019)
- NBEO Part II, patient assessment and management, Treatment and Management of Ocular Disease (TMOD) (December 2019)
- NBEO Part III, clinical skills (August 2019)
- NBEO Injections Skills Exam (ISE) (November 2015)
- State of Maryland Optometry License (2021-present)
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts Optometry License (2020-2021)
HONORS, AND AWARDS
- Johnson and Johnson Award of Excellence in Contact Lens Patient Care (2020)
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude, Southern College of Optometry (2020)
- President, Contact Lens Society, Southern College of Optometry (2018-2019)
- Member of Beta Sigma Kappa Optometric Honor Society (2016-2020)
- Southern College of Optometry Dean’s Endowed Scholarship (2016)
- Florida State University Dean’s List (2011-2013)
- International Keratoconus Academy (2022 - current)
- American Optometric Association – Member (2020-2021)
- Massachusetts Optometric Association – Member (2020-2021)